Next High Impact Market News Event:
Retrieving events...

Toggle shoutbox The Traders Chat Open the Shoutbox in a popup

If someone starts flaming you PM me with a screenshot of the incident and I will ban them if its legit. Do not flame them back, it makes our work as admins harder figuring out who started it. So if you flame them back, you may get banned too.
@  Rodrigo S : (25 June 2017 - 11:49 PM) it's possible make this?
@  Rodrigo S : (25 June 2017 - 11:46 PM) guys, I downloaded a indicator, but it only works on the strategy scanner, how do i make for function normally ?
@  arguetac03 : (25 June 2017 - 11:22 PM) sorry didn't mean to say that part
@  arguetac03 : (25 June 2017 - 11:21 PM) Closing price reveral
@  arguetac03 : (25 June 2017 - 11:20 PM) Are you guys making money in binary options?
@  wcpwouts : (25 June 2017 - 04:17 PM) are there any binary option brokers left who open at market opening?
@  Barnabee : (25 June 2017 - 01:47 PM) hello sir
@  thi4gon : (25 June 2017 - 12:34 PM) helllow
@  zeeshan ali : (25 June 2017 - 10:11 AM) bro?
@  kalc : (25 June 2017 - 09:48 AM) @zeeshan ali :rolleyes:
@  zeeshan ali : (25 June 2017 - 09:39 AM) ?
@  zeeshan ali : (25 June 2017 - 09:39 AM) what is best indicator for binary option^
@  kouropalatisk : (25 June 2017 - 08:42 AM) Guys, is there a broker on MT4 that has the same bitcoin as IQ option?
@  kalc : (25 June 2017 - 06:42 AM) I Am Legend
@  arguetac03 : (25 June 2017 - 01:59 AM) Who's legend
@  EricTran : (24 June 2017 - 07:07 PM) Bollinger
@  shaileshm : (24 June 2017 - 03:31 PM) that was his main strat
@  shaileshm : (24 June 2017 - 03:31 PM) @ TraderPro2012 http://www.binaryopt...egend-strategy/
@  SHOT221 : (24 June 2017 - 01:16 PM) hello barnabee
@  Barnabee : (24 June 2017 - 09:52 AM) hello ppl

Photo

Lots of small trades versus only a few large ones?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RM1

RM1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationSunny England

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

I was reading something that Tripack posted up in another thread:

The fear of opening big positions has to do with emotions too, and since you do well with smaller positions I wonder why you would want to trade big ? Greed ?
You do not need to overcome the fear of opening big pos, you need to overcome the temptation to do so.
If you go that route not only you will want more & more but you will blow in moments what took you time to accumulate and you will start to act stupid.

It got me thinking: is opening positions with large amounts really that bad? Especially if you've got a good strategy/trading system in place?

Let's say that you want to do 4x $50.00 trades in one day. Now, you might say that you could blow your account if you've only got $200 in it, for example. But, isn't the risk kinda equal if you attempt to do 20x $10 trades?

• Tripack, homero15 and lemodel like this

#2 Tripack

Tripack

• Moderators
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Depends, first of all you need to decide how much room your trade can have, then how comfortable it is to let time make money for you instead of you going in/out again and again ?

In order to become successful, first stop doing what unsuccessful people do.

#3 homero15

homero15

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA.

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Interesting and Important topic, in my humble opinion, it depends on many factors;

-Experience trading.

-Amount of money in Balance.

-Personal Discipline

-Emotional control.

-  etc, etc, etc.

I personally trade 5% of balance always, the balance increase, the trade size increase, that is my comfortable way of doing it. :)

• hp699flva likes this

#4 Tripack

Tripack

• Moderators
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

Also what are you looking at bins or not.

In order to become successful, first stop doing what unsuccessful people do.

#5 shaileshm

shaileshm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Interesting topic. I think the main issue here is the emotional factor. How would you react to one single big loss? How do you cope up with it. I think its important go have a good money management system in place here. Like you trade only 5% or 10% the amount in your balance. If your balance is very high. You may very well trade a bigger amount.

• Tripack likes this

Know Thy Setup. Know Thyself.

#6 freemenn

freemenn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

the problem is that more you trade more is your risk expouse.

#7 RM1

RM1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationSunny England

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Interesting topic. I think the main issue here is the emotional factor. How would you react to one single big loss? How do you cope up with it. I think its important go have a good money management system in place here. Like you trade only 5% or 10% the amount in your balance. If your balance is very high. You may very well trade a bigger amount.

Sadly I've been battling with myself on the emotional side of things. But, like I said in a reply in HH's thread in this forum, I need to treat my trading more like I'm running a business than having a gambling mindset. I do run my own business when I'm not trading and I've paid out for things that offered little to no return. Yet, in those cases, I didn't get as mad as I did when my bins trades were OTM.

the problem is that more you trade more is your risk expouse.

Yeah but I was thinking, the perceived risk is probably about the same with fewer but larger trades, putting aside one's initial trading balance. Of course, it depends on the strategy/style of trading used etc.

#8 BrianC

BrianC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

If you have problems with emotions and discipline, I think that very few but well thought trades is the way to go. If I compare time, effort and stress levels to profit, doing few trades is much more profitable to me.

• homero15 likes this

#9 manfloy

manfloy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationShanghai at the moment..

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

You can take 2 large trades but with small amounth like take kne and put 10,10,10,10,10 instead of 50
  • sailaway66 likes this

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week !

#10 manfloy

manfloy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

Take a look at different MM and when you feel confortable then go

#11 manfloy

manfloy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Here on BOE have a lot of brilliant posts take a look around

#12 manfloy

manfloy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

I'm confident with a lot of trades without martingame and without any of MM Sys. At the end of day sometimes ai have 3 OTM in a row sometimes i have 9 ITM in a row , better to take a break then go again, just my experience

#13 samabiong

samabiong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

It got me thinking: is opening positions with large amounts really that bad? Especially if you've got a good strategy/trading system in place?

Let's say that you want to do 4x $50.00 trades in one day. Now, you might say that you could blow your account if you've only got $200 in it, for example. But, isn't the risk kinda equal if you attempt to do 20x $10 trades?

I don't think it matters how you break up the $200 into however many different combinations including 200x $1, 40x $5, etc. The question one should ask one's self should be "Can I live with the Consequences?"

If the answer is "I can't" then obviously one's trading approach needs to be addressed until resolved......until one can confidently say "Yes I can live with the loss".

• ZeusDCS likes this

"Planning without action is futile, action without planning is fatal"  - source unknown

#14 ryan65

ryan65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJenniferTown

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

I prefer to don't put all in the same basket!

Even a perfect Trade can go OTM because market can be a bitch! So I prefer to trade a longer time, have more and same quality set up but putting less in each!
  • homero15 and ZeusDCS like this
I'm a barbie girl! Wanna be my Ken ?!

#15 MTH2014

MTH2014

The Uncle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Ask market...

Why big banks even central banks really scare to death of one big single quick move in markets like 'flash crash'.. ? even they put in jail everyone that suspected to trigger that 'crash' ...

Ask big players, hedge funds, treasury, insurances, etc, did they put all their allowance into single huge position in single instrument or 'spreading' it in hundred 'chunks' in all markets

or do you really know the meaning of 'spread' term originally came from ?

MTH

"Some are faster, some are slower, and some will never get it...lol" "You may be right but certainly not the only one...  So, remove that smug smile from your face" :P

"If you are too proud of yourself right now, sooner or later the reality will hit you" "with flock of penguins around me, I will always feel the warmth and happiness"

#16 BinaryOptionsTutordotcom

BinaryOptionsTutordotcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

Like everyone I have an opinion on this based on my experience. To answer this question you will have to look at yourself and manage your expectations. I have traded big positions way back in the day it is all I used to do. 1 -3 positions in a day turning over 3 - 5K most of when I lived entirely off of Binary options alone. The Op mentioned $200 and if that is what you have to trade with then IMO it is better to do smaller bets. You will be betting on the edge of your strategy or your ability to trade and not just betting on a handful of bets over a short period of time. A really good bet does not come along every 5M to 1H so why trade like it will.

Who wants you to trade as large a position as you can?

Ummm the broker maybe.

Who risk the most on the Bin?

Ummm you surely $100 to win $70 - 80 for example ( Traditional not on 0-100 style we are talking EU style I assume )

What happens when you put on an EU style Bin and are stuck holding it?

Lots of tech makes it easy to toss your trade like a hot potato and if it is bigger it will especially get tossed I would think because the broker is there to make money just like you. When it looks to risky they get rid of it and the market moves against you as a result.

Is the market going anywhere?

No so IMO there is really no need to go beyond 2 - 10% on a single trade. Trade more when you have more to trade with and are comfortable losing it and have more of your own personal stats based on a few hundred trades that show you have an edge as a trader. If you really do have such an edge then why rush? The edge will not go away and will likely just get better with time. Good traders think of how much they can make on a trade but great traders think of how much they can make and lose on each trade.

• martinezfx likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

USA REGULATION NOTICE: There are many binary options companies which are not regulated within the United States. Most of these offshore companies are not supervised, connected or affiliated with any of the regulatory agencies such as the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), National Futures Association (NFA), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) or the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).

It is our STRONG opinion that you do not operate with any unregulated brokerage firm as they may steal or try to scam you out of every dime you have. Please take notice that any unregulated trading activity by U.S. Citizens should be considered unlawful.

Risk Disclosure: Binary Options Edge does not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information contained within this website; this includes education material, price quotes and charts, and analysis. Please be aware of the risks associated with trading the financial markets; never invest more money than you can risk losing. The risks involved in trading binary options are high and may not be suitable for all investors. Binary Options Edge doesn't retain responsibility for any trading losses you might face as a result of using the data hosted on this site. The data and quotes contained in this website are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers. So prices may be different from exchange prices and may not be accurate to real time trading prices. They are supplied as a guide to trading rather than for trading purposes.